Skin exfoliation is a method to remove dead skin cells and dirt from the top layer of skin. Exfoliation deeply cleanses the pores of the skin removing dead skin cells and pollutants. Skin exfoliation is recommended by dermatologists at least once a week to prevent the build-up of dead skin cells and acne. Scrubbing also helps clear clogged skin pores due to dust and oil deposits.
The face, neck, lips, and all other body parts need exfoliation to prevent acne and blemish breakouts. Choose the best exfoliation method and natural exfoliant based on your skin type.
Methods of Skin Exfoliation at home
There are two methods to exfoliate your skin at home safely. The choice of the following methods depends on the type of skin;
- Chemical Exfoliation: Chemical exfoliation uses a chemical scrub to remove dead skin cells. Chemical exfoliants are generally made of alpha or beta-hydroxy acids. It is mostly recommended for oily and thick skin types
- Mechanical Exfoliation: Mechanical exfoliation physically removes the dead skin cells using a sponge, washcloth, or at-home ingredients to exfoliate your skin naturally. This method is the best fit for sensitive and dry skin.
Consult a dermatologist to decide the best method for exfoliating your face and body
How to Exfoliate the skin at home?
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends exfoliating the skin by using a small amount of the scrubber and gently massaging in a circular motion. For mechanical exfoliation, use small and light strokes to scrub the skin.
Wash your face with lukewarm water and apply a moisturizer. It is recommended not to exfoliate skin having cuts or open wounds.
Exfoliate your skin naturally at home
The safe and natural ingredients to exfoliate your skin at home include;
Coffee is a most loved beverage and an excellent scrubber as well. Coffee contains antioxidants, chlorogenic acid, and certain essential vitamins like vitamin B3. It helps reduce inflammation, acne, and skin blemishes. Coffee is also used to treat skin hyperpigmentation.
How to make Coffee scrub:
- Take 1-2 tsp of grounded coffee in a bowl
- Add 1 tsp olive or coconut oil to it
- Mix it to form a uniform paste
- Apply it on your face, lips, and any other body part
- Scrub it for 15-20 mins wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Dry your face and apply a moisturizer.
Oatmeal for skin exfoliation
Oatmeal is used as a skin exfoliator as it contains many skin-softening agents. Oatmeal contains beta-glucan which makes the skin smooth and moisturized. The grainy texture of oatmeal also makes it the best fit as a scrubber.
How to make Oatmeal scrub:
- Take 2- 3 Tbsp of oatmeal or as desired based on the area to be exfoliated
- Add 2 Tbsp of yogurt and a small amount of honey to it
- Mix it to make an even textured paste
- Scrub the skin in circular motions and leave it for 10-15 mins
- Wash your face with lukewarm water and moisturize it.
Orange peel scrub
Orange peel consists of vital nutrients and vitamins including vitamin C, magnesium, riboflavin, calcium, etc. These ingredients restore the youthful skin glow and rejuvenate the skin. These ingredients together with many antioxidants help moisturize the skin and remove dead skin cells.
How to make Orange peel scrub:
- Take orange peel or skin and dry it in sunlight
- Powder the sun-dried orange peels
- Take 1-2 tsp of the powder or as desired
- Add a small amount of yogurt or milk to make a thick paste
- Apply it on the skin using circular motions
- Let it dry and wash the face with lukewarm water
Sugar is a common sweetener in every household which acts as a natural exfoliant. The texture of sugar together with its composition makes it the best fit for skin scrubbing and exfoliation. White or brown sugar both reduce skin blemishes and acne.
How to Use:
- Take sugar in a bowel depending on the area to be exfoliated
- Mix it with olive or almond oil
- Scrub off the skin for 10-15 minutes
- Leave it for a while and wash your face with lukewarm water
- You can also use coffee or honey together with sugar for skin exfoliation
Baking soda for skin
Baking soda is used to reduce skin inflammation and remove dead skin cells. It is a natural antiseptic that reduces skin irritation and deeply cleanses the skin. Baking soda keeps the bacteria away from the skin and removes clogging from skin pores.
How to make Baking soda scrub:
- Use 1-2 Tbsp of baking soda and add a small amount of water to it
- Make it into a paste
- Apply it to the skin and exfoliate for 10-15 minutes
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes and wash your skin with lukewarm water
Other Methods for Skin Exfoliation at Home
Sponges: They are used as mechanical scrubbers. A sponge promotes blood circulation in the skin and physically removes the dead skin and dust from the skin.
Washcloths: A soft washcloth can also be used as a natural scrubber to exfoliate the skin at home. This is the most suitable method for sensitive or dry skin that is prone to acne.
How often should you exfoliate
Skin exfoliation can cause irritation or inflammation. This is more common with chemical exfoliation. To avoid this skin damage, it is recommended to exfoliate your skin at least once a week and not exceed 3 times per week
It is recommended to consult the best dermatologist for expert advice about the frequency and type of skin exfoliation that best suits your skin type.
Skin exfoliation is a skin-cleaning method to remove dead skin cells. The best exfoliation method is decided based on the sensitivity and type of the skin. Natural exfoliants are safe to use for all skin types. They should be scrubbed in a circular motion gently to avoid any irritation or rash on the skin.
1. Is exfoliation good for your skin?
Skin exfoliation once a week is very useful to remove dead skin cells and open the clogged skin pores. This reduces acne and blemish outbreaks and provides a natural smooth glow to the skin.
2. At what time should you use a face scrub?
It is recommended to use mechanical or chemical exfoliation for your skin once or twice a week. However, use a daily face cleanser to keep your face clean at all times.